I had the absolute pleasure of visiting Seal Rescue Ireland in Courtown to interview Melanie. Her extensive knowledge of conservation made this a really enjoyable educational episode, although sometimes very saddening due to how Seals are suffering at the hands of humans. Have a listen, share it around and be the eyes and ears of SRI when you're out along the coast.
- Melanie's background before coming to work for Seal Rescue Ireland.
- Facts about the seals that are native to Ireland and how their populations have fared over the years.
- Why SRI end up needing to rehabilitate seals.
- How pollutants end up in the sea and what we can do to stop them.
- The importance planting trees, particularly Riparian buffers, has on the health of the sea.
- The relationship between seal conservationists and the fishing industry.
- The benefits of Eco-Tourism.
- How SRI rehabilitate their seals and releases them.
What to do if you see a seal on the beach:
- Stay at least 100 metres away.
- Call SRI's hotline number: +353(0)87 1955393.
- Keep your dog on a short lead.
- Do NOT approach the seal or try drag it into the sea!
Adopt a Seal here. Your adoption certificate will be e-mailed to you as well as regular updates!
Mentioned in Intro:
- Climate Queens Ireland.
- Fridays for Future Ireland.
- Extinction Rebellion Ireland and Rebellion Week (7th-13th October).